General Description: The Telecom Specialist will act as an Outside Plant / Facilities Technician that provides 24x7x365 “hands-on” OSP technical support for the Open Access Telecommunications Network. The Telecom Outside Plant / Facilities Technician works closely with the other Telecom Division team members to provide continuity between OSP engineering and maintenance and data network engineering and transmission engineering. It is expected that the Telecom Outside Plant / Facilities Tech has the ability to troubleshoot all outside plant related issues in the network regardless of complexity.
While the Telecom Outside Plant / Facilities Tech’s primary responsibility is to provide 24x7x365 outside plant support they will also be responsible for general central office and remote facility issues related to AC Power, HVAC, access control and fire suppression systems issues but also be available to assist with transport troubles as needed. The Telecom Outside Plant / Facilities Technician will work as part of a team consisting of other members of the Telecommunications division.
Immediate Supervisor: Director Network Facilities and Construction
1. Assist in the identification and development of OSP network physical routing.
2. Conduct GIS data collection and work closely with Authority GIS Analyst and GIS Specialist.
3. Coordinate, schedule and conduct make-ready survey rides with incumbent pole owners and attachees.
4. Act as point of contact (POC) related to make-ready related requirements with pole owners.
5. Act as Telecom Field Inspector for the purpose of monitoring and reviewing contract work operations.
6. Assist in the development of construction estimates for new and re- arrangement builds.
7. Represent the Authority Telecom Division in all local, county and state DOT related field meetings and
8. Administrative duties including, but not limited to time reporting, service order administration and
asset management system administration for all optical fiber network elements.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: The Telecom Outside Plant / Facilities Technician have a minimum of 5 years of Telecommunications OSP Design and Field Inspection experience in the deployment, maintenance and restoration of an all optical fiber network. A strong knowledge of standards and procedures required to design and maintain a carrier class optical fiber network is required. Strong working knowledge of Telecordia, NESC construction practices and knowledge of local permitting activities.
Education: Candidates should have / be:
1. A minimum of a Bachelor Degree with a concentration in Telecommunication or Information Technology
2. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including VISIO and Access.
3. GIS Technologies (field data capture of OSP facilities / attributes)
Pre-employment drug test and Physical Exam Required: Yes
Minimum Driver’s License: Class D NYS regular operator
Position Type: Full Time
Pay Type: Salary, Exempt
To be considered for this position, please submit an application and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org