The Solid Waste Management Facility provides efficient, environmentally responsible disposal of non-hazardous solid waste for the North Country. The state of the art, double lined landfill facility began operation in 1992 and operates in full compliance with all applicable New York State Department of Environmental Conservation regulations.
The facility offers many advantages:
- Top-of-the-line equipment including two special waste handling dozers and two 100,000 lb. landfill compactors.
- Segregated tipping areas for special materials.
- Extensive use of alternative daily cover materials.
- Computerized weighing and billing.
- Fast turnaround time.
Initiatives which will allow the facility to meet future needs:
- Completion of a new 10-acre waste cell to accommodate ongoing disposal needs, and the expansion of the landfill cap and gas collection system.
- Southeastern cell extension that will significantly enhance the landfill's disposal capacity and provide a sustained competitive solid waste disposal tipping fee for future generations.
- Incorporation of innovative earthwork and liner construction techniques to reduce waste in our environment.
- Development of alternative energy sources.